Two local scholars were able to find the site of an old town called Chipco in Pasco County.
Spectrum News | Bay News 9
Two local scholars were able to find the site of an old town called Chipco in Pasco County.
President Donald Trump says a U.S. warship destroyed an Iranian drone in the Strait of Hormuz after the drone came within threatening distance of the ship
Spectrum News | Bay News 9
Tickets are now on-sale to New Year’s Eve at American Social located at 601 South Harbour Island Boulevard near Downtown Tampa.
Tickets start at $ 150 (plus taxes and fees) and are required for entry.
Note: VIP is now SOLD OUT.
- Select open bar from 9PM to 1AM and access to all public areas (No seating unless you purchase a VIP table)
- Passed Hors D’oeuvres
- DJ and live music
- Tampa’s largest midnight fireworks display with a waterfront view
- Complimentary midnight champagne toast to ring in the New Year
Buy tickets: http://bit.ly/2SoTItQ
Hurry because tickets are limited and are subject to availability.
For questions, email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
It’s American Craft Beer Week 2018. There are 6,000 breweries in the U.S.A. and 98% are small and independent craft brewers. Small and independent brewers also grew by 6% in 2016.
Tampa Bay has an awesome and growing craft beer scene with over 60 breweries. Here are 10 places that I recommend in the bay area.
Note: Just because I didn’t put a place on the list that doesn’t mean it isn’t great, I haven’t been to every brewery in town yet or tried everyone’s beer – these are some of my favorites though.
1. Arkane Aleworks: When I went to the Brewer’s Ball I fell in love with Arkane’s Gimme Swelter and Mezcal Blackbird. I finally visited the actually brewery this past week and loved almost everything I tried. The brewery isn’t too big, but can still handle some parties. Sour beer is my current favorite type and they have plenty of it. The Wry Ask Rye was excellent during my last visit. 2480 E Bay Dr #23, Largo, FL 33771. (727) 270-7117. http://www.arkanebeer.com/tap-list/
2. Coppertail Brewing Co.: Living in Brandon has always made Coppertail a convenient drive for me. The facility is beautiful and historic. True to its roots in Ybor. Coppertail always had a wide-range of beers and also great food as well from Stein & Vine. The Slam Piece Berliner Weissbier is my current favorite there but another fave is The BOMP. I love hanging out with a friend and chatting on the second floor of the brewery. 2601 E. 2nd Ave., Tampa, FL 33605. (813) 247-1500. http://coppertailbrewing.com/
3. Hidden Springs Ale Works: I randomly wandered into Hidden Springs one day during a Commune & Co. pop-up long before Tampa Heights was even a thing, but Hidden Springs has grown beautifully. I continue to be impressed with their new beers popping and especially their new cans. The bartenders are usually chill and they have their own parking lot, which is a luxury in Tampa Heights. The last great beer I had from them was their Riot Juice – a Berliner Weisse. 1631 N Franklin St, Tampa, FL 33602. (813) 226-2739. http://hiddenspringsaleworks.com/
4. Crooked Thumb Brewery: If I find myself over near Safety Harbor, Crooked Thumb has a beautiful tasting room and nice outdoor space, occasionally they also have food trucks there serving food. Their Grapefruit Gose is a solid beer. Their beers can get a little darker for those who like that as well. 3821, 555 10th Ave S, Safety Harbor, FL 34695. (727) 724-5953. http://crookedthumbbrew.com/
5. Leaven Brewing: Leaven Brewing has a special place in my heart as the first brewery in Riverview. They have so much passion and potential, I truly believe they will be one of the top breweries of the future. The owners and staff have also been really great to talk to. They are still growing so the tap list is a little limited, but the Is Good Kölsch is great. Show them love if you come out to the east side of town. 11238 Boyette Rd, Riverview, FL 33569. (813) 677-7023. https://www.leavenbrewing.com/
6. 81Bay Brewing Company: 81Bay is one of the few breweries that I haven’t been to that I can confidently recommend. I constantly see them out at events and participating in the community and their beer is excellent. They can take a beer type I wouldn’t normally drink and make me a fan. Their brewers and employees are also super cool and I have enjoyed meeting them on various occasions. I do plan to eventually make it to Gandy to visit them in the not too distant future, but either way that shouldn’t stop you! Their beer list is constantly rotating so check their website for more. 4465 W Gandy Blvd #600, Tampa, FL 33611. (813) 837-2739. http://81baybrewco.com/
7. Cycle Brewing: I visited Cycle Brewing one First Friday in Downtown St. Pete for a drink and became a fan. Their beers tend to be darker, but I like the vibe there. It captures that feeling of St. Petersburg, kinda grungy – but filled with soul. I like the Hazelnut Cream + Sugar coffee porter. It’s black like my soul. 534 Central Ave, St. Petersburg, FL 33701. (727) 320-7954.
8. Dunedin Brewing: One wild trip around Dunedin ended at Dunedin Brewing. The brewery is quaint. The staff kinda reminded me of being at a dive bar and the beer and food were both great (pro-tip: get the cheese curds). I liked the Apricot Peach Fruit Wheat Beer the most out of my flight. 937 Douglas Ave, Dunedin, FL 34698. (727) 736-0606. http://www.dunedinbrewery.com/
9. Brew Bus Brewing: I had tried Brew Bus beers and the accompanying Florida Ave. Brewing beers for years, but hadn’t made it over to the tasting room and brewery until a few weeks ago and I have been missing out. Besides the Brew Bus which can shuttle you around the city to different breweries (a place for a place with tight parking like Tampa), Brew Bus also has an Executive Chef and quite an extensive beer menu.
I liked both the Brew Bus beers and the sours that are heavily present on the Florida Ave. Brewing list. The Cucumber Berliner Weisse is completely refreshing in this sticky Florida weather. There is plenty to see at Brew Bus and they are certainly growing in the Seminole Heights area. 4101 N. Florida Ave., Tampa, FL 33603. (813) 990-7310. https://www.brewbususa.com/
10. Cigar City Brewing: You can’t really write a craft beer list in Tampa and exclude Cigar City. The biggest player in town that helped start a movement here in Tampa. Cigar City regularly offers tours that I highly recommend and all their events that I have attended have been great experiences. My favorite beer at Cigar City is the Florida Cracker Ale and the Guava Grove (I actually love everything guava..being a Hispanic).
Cigar City has great beer and a great brand and has helped to make Tampa a great place for beer that we can all enjoy. It’s also located minutes from the Tampa International Airport, making it convenient for any traveler to stop at. 3924 W Spruce St, Tampa, FL 33607. (813) 348-6363. http://cigarcitybrewing.com
Join 81Bay Brewing Co. and American Social Tampa for a special craft beer dinner this Wednesday, March 7th, 2018 at 7:30PM for Tampa Bay Beer Week 2018.
Tickets cost $ 50 and includes 4 courses of food and 5 craft beers as well as hors d’oeuvres paired by American Social Chef Jay Jones and 81Bay Head Brewer Hayley Brown. Enjoy dining on the waterfront of Tampa Bay at this event.
Buy tickets: www.eventliveus.com/purchase/event/752422
One of Tampa’s newest hotspots on Harbour Island, American Social, is hosting an event filled with Gasparilla festivities on Saturday, January 27th, 2018 from 10AM-4PM.
The event is for ages 21+ and no refunds will be given.
There is a limited amount of tickets available. Tickets cost $ 100 and includes:
- A waterfront view of Tampa Bay where all the Gasparilla action will be happening
- Open Bar from 10AM-Noon
- Choice of 1 Food Item from food tents – options include hamburger, hot dog, chicken sandwich, or mac and cheese
- $ 3 16 oz. Coors Light beer and $ 5 Tito’s vodka mixed drinks
(AP) Carmaker Fiat Chrysler Automobiles says its first-quarter earnings soared on the back of a strong performance in North America.
The Italian-American carmaker said Tuesday that it made a net profit of 478 million euros ($ 539 million) in the first quarter, up from 27 million in the same period last year, a figure that had been adjusted to exclude the recently spun off Ferrari division.
The carmaker, formed from the 2014 merger of Fiat and Chrysler, confirmed its 2016 targets, including net profit of 1.9 billion euros on net revenues of 110 billion euros.
Fiat Chrysler said its North America adjusted earnings before interest and taxes doubled to 1.2 billion euros on higher revenues, lower advertising spending and lower recall campaign costs. Europe earnings nearly quadrupled to 96 million euros.
Take action this February to raise awareness for heart disease and stroke
American Heart Month, which was first declared in 1964 by President Lyndon B. Johnson, takes place every February. Heart Month raises awareness of cardiovascular diseases, including heart disease and stroke – the No. 1 and No. 5 killers, respectively, of Americans.
Taking place during American Heart Month is National Wear Red Day®, an icon day that was started in 2003 by the American Heart Association (AHA) and the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. National Wear Red Day falls on the first Friday of every February (Friday, Feb. 5, 2016). This day is dedicated to educating people about women’s heart health, and raising awareness to help fight heart disease and stroke.
Heart disease and stroke cause 1 in 3 deaths among women each year. Fortunately, we can change that because 80 percent of cardiac and stroke events may be prevented with education and action!
This February, the AHA is encouraging Tampa Bay businesses, organizations and community members to support Heart Month by Going Red. When you get involved in supporting Go Red For Women, more lives are saved. Today, in the U.S. about 285 fewer women die from heart disease and stroke each day. Research also shows that people who join Go Red For Women live healthier lives: more than one-third have lost weight, more than 50% have increased their exercise, and 6 out of 10 have changed their diets.
Don’t forget to share your GO RED photos and heart healthy activities on social media. Use the hashtags: #TBGoRed and #GoRedWearRed, and tag the AHA Tampa Bay: www.Facebook.com/AHATampaBay; Twitter, @HeartTampaBay; and Instagram, HeartTampaBay.
Visit www.GoRedForWomen.org/WearRedDay for free resources and to learn more.
LOCAL NATIONAL WEAR RED DAY ACTIVITIES
- WALK ON BAYSHORE BOULEVARD
- What: Kick off National Wear Red Day with a heart healthy activity! The American Heart Association invites Tampa Bay Area residents to join them on a one-mile walk on Bayshore Boulevard. Walkers will get red balloons, shoelaces, and stickers to honor those who have suffered from heart disease or stroke. There will also be special red hats for survivors.
- When: Friday, Feb. 5, 7:30-8:30 a.m.
- Where: Park and meet at Tampa Woman’s Club: 2901 Bayshore Boulevard, Tampa FL, 33629
- FREE BLOOD PRESURE SCREENINGS IN ST. PETE
- What: American Heart Association, St. Petersburg Fire and Rescue and Healthy St. Pete are offering free blood pressure screenings. St. Petersburg Deputy Mayor Kanika Tomalin, an American Heart Association Tampa Bay Board Member, will be in attendance to show her support for heart health. Everyone who gets their blood pressure taken will receive a free Heart Month goodie bag.
- When: Friday, Feb. 5, from 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Where: Municipal Services Center
- Address: One Fourth Street North, St. Petersburg
- BREAKUP WITH SALT AT BAYFRONT
- What: After you get your blood pressure taken, stop by Bayfront and make a pledge to reduce your sodium consumption. Make it permanent by getting your photo taken and printed onsite with the infamous SALT MAN!
Did you know the AHA recommends Americans consume 1,500mg or less of sodium every day and that the average American consumes 3,400mg a day?
- When: Friday, Feb. 5, from 11 a.m-1 p.m.
- Where: Bayfront’s East Lobby: 701 6th St S, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
- PUPPIES AND BABIES GO RED AT ALL CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL
- What: The American Heart Association donated handmade red knit beanies for all of the CVICU babies at All Children’s Hospital. On National Wear Red Day, a Golden Retriever therapy dog named Maya will deliver the hats to the babies. Throughout Heart Month, ALL children at the hospital will receive red beanies.
- MACY’S WEAR RED DAY SALE Since 2004, Macy’s associates and customers have helped raise more than $ 55 million to support Go Red For Women.
- From February 3-8, if you purchase one of three red dresses or exclusive Go Red For Women Ideology activewear, 10 percent of the purchase price goes to Go Red For Women!
- Customers can also save when they buy a Go Red For Women red dress pin at any Macy’s store. Learn more and get additional Go Red savings at www.Macys.com/GoRed.