The American Heart Association Encourages Tampa Bay to Support Heart MonthComments Off on The American Heart Association Encourages Tampa Bay to Support Heart Month
Take action this February to raise awareness for heart disease and stroke
American Heart Month, which was first declared in 1964 by President Lyndon B. Johnson, takes place every February. Heart Month raises awareness of cardiovascular diseases, including heart disease and stroke – the No. 1 and No. 5 killers, respectively, of Americans.
Taking place during American Heart Month is National Wear Red Day®, an icon day that was started in 2003 by the American Heart Association (AHA) and the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. National Wear Red Day falls on the first Friday of every February (Friday, Feb. 5, 2016). This day is dedicated to educating people about women’s heart health, and raising awareness to help fight heart disease and stroke.
Heart disease and stroke cause 1 in 3 deaths among women each year. Fortunately, we can change that because 80 percent of cardiac and stroke events may be prevented with education and action!
This February, the AHA is encouraging Tampa Bay businesses, organizations and community members to support Heart Month by Going Red. When you get involved in supporting Go Red For Women, more lives are saved. Today, in the U.S. about 285 fewer women die from heart disease and stroke each day. Research also shows that people who join Go Red For Women live healthier lives: more than one-third have lost weight, more than 50% have increased their exercise, and 6 out of 10 have changed their diets.
Don’t forget to share your GO RED photos and heart healthy activities on social media. Use the hashtags: #TBGoRed and #GoRedWearRed, and tag the AHA Tampa Bay: www.Facebook.com/AHATampaBay; Twitter, @HeartTampaBay; and Instagram, HeartTampaBay.
Visit www.GoRedForWomen.org/WearRedDay for free resources and to learn more.
LOCAL NATIONAL WEAR RED DAY ACTIVITIES
- WALK ON BAYSHORE BOULEVARD
- What: Kick off National Wear Red Day with a heart healthy activity! The American Heart Association invites Tampa Bay Area residents to join them on a one-mile walk on Bayshore Boulevard. Walkers will get red balloons, shoelaces, and stickers to honor those who have suffered from heart disease or stroke. There will also be special red hats for survivors.
- When: Friday, Feb. 5, 7:30-8:30 a.m.
- Where: Park and meet at Tampa Woman’s Club: 2901 Bayshore Boulevard, Tampa FL, 33629
- FREE BLOOD PRESURE SCREENINGS IN ST. PETE
- What: American Heart Association, St. Petersburg Fire and Rescue and Healthy St. Pete are offering free blood pressure screenings. St. Petersburg Deputy Mayor Kanika Tomalin, an American Heart Association Tampa Bay Board Member, will be in attendance to show her support for heart health. Everyone who gets their blood pressure taken will receive a free Heart Month goodie bag.
- When: Friday, Feb. 5, from 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Where: Municipal Services Center
- Address: One Fourth Street North, St. Petersburg
- BREAKUP WITH SALT AT BAYFRONT
- What: After you get your blood pressure taken, stop by Bayfront and make a pledge to reduce your sodium consumption. Make it permanent by getting your photo taken and printed onsite with the infamous SALT MAN!
Did you know the AHA recommends Americans consume 1,500mg or less of sodium every day and that the average American consumes 3,400mg a day?
- When: Friday, Feb. 5, from 11 a.m-1 p.m.
- Where: Bayfront’s East Lobby: 701 6th St S, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
- PUPPIES AND BABIES GO RED AT ALL CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL
- What: The American Heart Association donated handmade red knit beanies for all of the CVICU babies at All Children’s Hospital. On National Wear Red Day, a Golden Retriever therapy dog named Maya will deliver the hats to the babies. Throughout Heart Month, ALL children at the hospital will receive red beanies.
- MACY’S WEAR RED DAY SALE Since 2004, Macy’s associates and customers have helped raise more than $ 55 million to support Go Red For Women.
- From February 3-8, if you purchase one of three red dresses or exclusive Go Red For Women Ideology activewear, 10 percent of the purchase price goes to Go Red For Women!
- Customers can also save when they buy a Go Red For Women red dress pin at any Macy’s store. Learn more and get additional Go Red savings at www.Macys.com/GoRed.