TROPICS: Tropical system moving toward BahamasComments Off on TROPICS: Tropical system moving toward Bahamas
An area of low pressure associated with a tropical wave is centered just southeast of the Turks and Caicos Islands.
The wave is producing gale-force winds over water to the north of Hispaniola, however, satellite images indicate that the shower and thunderstorm activity is well removed from the area of lowest pressure.
- Tropical wave could impact Florida early next week
- Hurricane Gaston remains no threat to state
- Check back often for continuous coverage
- What’s working against the tropical low
It is currently disorganized and the low continues to lack a well-defined center. However, conditions are expected to become more favorable for development over the weekend when the system is in the Bahamas.
Another NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft is scheduled to investigate this system later this morning.
The most recent computer models continue to show significantly different scenarios regarding the system’s development and future track.
- Track the tropics
- WEATHER ON THE GO: Download the Bay News 9 app
- GET WEATHER ALERTS: Sign up to receive weather text alerts from Bay News 9
- RELATED: Tropics getting active, so is social media; stay informed
- WATCH: NOAA’s hurricane hunters spring to action
Regardless of development, heavy rains are likely over Puerto Rico today, and strong winds and heavy rainfall are likely over portions of Hispaniola, the Turks and Caicos, and the southeastern and central Bahamas during the next couple of days.
These rains could lead to flash floods and mudslides.
Meanwhile, Gaston is the third hurricane of the season.
A NASA/NOAA Global Hawk research mission found winds of 75 mph late last night.
Today the shear is expected to increase and the forecast is for Gaston to weaken back to a tropical storm later today. While it could re-intensify over the weekend, it’s no threat to land.
Please make sure to check our website and Bay News 9 app throughout the week, and watch our Tropical Updates each hour at :49.